Diffusion and Osmosis Practice Worksheet Answer Key Pdf
How are the molecules moving in the examples below? Write OSMOSIS or DIFFUSION.
a) The student sitting next to you just came from gym class and forgot to shower and you can tell. …..D…..
b) After sitting in the bathtub for hours, your fingers start to look like prunes. …..O…..
c) The girl sitting two rows ahead of you put on too much perfume this morning. …..D…..
d) One way to get rid of slugs in your garden is to sprinkle salt on them, so they shrivel u …..D…..
e) Yum! Something smells good. The neighbors are cooking on the grill! …..D…..
f) Gargling with salt water when you have a sore throat causes your swollen throat cells to shrink and feel better. …..O…..
g) Oxygen molecules move from the air sacs in the lungs across the cell membranes into the blood …..D…..
2. Use arrows to indicate the direction of diffusion in each case below:
3. For each of the situations below use an arrow to indicate the net movement
of sugar into or out of the cell. (Assume that the sugar molecules can pass through the cell membrane in each case.)
4. Diffusion always causes particles to move from a region of HIGH concentration to a region of LOW concentration.
5. Does a cell use energy when molecules diffuse in or out of the cell?
__ NO __
Diffusion is the passive movement of particles – energy does not need to be added for it to occur.
14. Complete the table by writing whether solutes and water move INSIDE or OUTSIDE the cell.
Hints: With diffusion, solutes move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.
With Osmosis, wherever more salt is, water follows! Or, water also goes from an area of the high amount of water to an area of low amount of water.