1. What is your definition of the word progress?
2. List three modes of transportation prior to the railroad.
3. Give a brief description of George Innes’ painting, Lackawanna Valley.
4. What do you think George Innes’ was trying to say with this painting?
5. Give a brief description of John Gast’s painting, American Progress.
6. What does John Gast’s painting, American Progress, say about railroads?
7. What were some potential “costs” of building railroads in the United States?
8. What incentives convinced people to build railroads in the United States?